last modified: July 3, 2012
(Specially Appointed Associate Professor)
- 1979 B.A., Department of Hispanic Studies, Kyoto University of Foreign Studies
- 2005 M.A., Kobe University Graduate School of International Cooperation Studies
- 2008 Ph.D., Kyoto University Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies
- M.A. in International Studies (Kobe University)
- Ph.D. in Human and Environmental Studies (Kyoto University)
- 1979-1981 Worked at the Argentine Consulate General in Kobe
- 1990-1994 Worked at the Bolivian Consulate General in Kobe
- 1995- Acting board member, producer, and founder of FMYY, a community radio station
- 1999- Acting chairperson, Multilanguage Center FACIL, a specified nonprofit corporation
- 2000-2011 Spanish language consultant, Japan Immigration Association Information Center Foundation
- 2011- Specially Appointed Associate Professor, Global Collaboration Center, Osaka University
Field of Research
- International Cooperation Policy, Public Policy
- Multiculturalism, Self-help Organizations for Foreigners, Youth Education, Disaster Prevention and Disaster Risk Reduction, Citizen Media
- Social Enterprise, Collaboration Between NPOs/NGOs and Government Agencies, Community Radio Broadcasting, Ethnic Identity, Language Acquisition, Latin America
Membership of Professional Associations
- From April of 2005 Member of the Japan Society for Multicultural Relations
- From May of 2008 Executive committee member of the Japan Association for Migration Policy Studies
- From May of 2008 Public Policy Studies Association JAPAN
Publications and Presentations
- 2008 Multicultural Symbiotic Society and the Power of the Foreign Community: Do self-help groups that avoid ghettoization really exist? (Japanese edition). Gendaijinbun-sha Co., Ltd.
- 2010 Multicultural Symbiotic Society and the Power of the Foreign Community: Do self-help groups that avoid ghettoization really exist? (English edition). Gendaijinbun-sha Co., Ltd.
Jointly-authored Books and Written Contributions
- 2003 "A Multicultural Symbiotic Society as Envisioned by NGOs/NPOs," in Multicultural Japan: The Lives of Foreigners Living in Japan (National Museum of Ethnology Edition). The Senri Cultural Foundation. 44-49.
- 2005 "Japanese Language Usage by Spanish Speaking South Americans Living in Japan" in Encyclopedia of Japan's Multilingual Societies. Written and edited by Shinji Sanada and Hiroshi Shoji. Iwanami Shoten, Publishers. 224-226.
- 2007 "Harnessing Multiculturalism in Local Communities: Case Studies in Kobe," in A Powerful Multicultural Society. Written and edited by Toshihiro Menju and Eriko Suzuki. Akashi Shoten. 159-176.
- 2007 "Starting a Community Business: Establishing a Cooperative Model with Local Minorities," in Modern Community Media Theory. Written and edited by Norio Tamura and Shigehiko Shiramizu. Nippon Hyoronsha, Co., Ltd. 119-134.
- 2009 "Multilingual/multicultural Community Building: Witnessing the Vitality of the Diverse Minority Community in the Aftermath of the Great Hanshin Awaji Earthquake," in In Search of Multidimensional Coexistence: Building a Society for the Citizens. Written and edited by Taeko Udagawa. Toshindo Publishing Co., Ltd. 47-61.
- 2010 "Introduction to AMARC," in The Future of Community Media. Written and edited by Satoko Matsuura and Takashi Kawashima. Koyo Publishing. 133-141 and 274-277.
- 2010 "Understanding the Psychological Traits and Providing Assistance to Foreign Disaster Victims," in Nursing Graphicus EX5: Disaster Related Nursing. Medicus Shuppan Publisher Co., Ltd.
- 2011 "Disaster Recovery and Multicultural Coexistence," in "Compendium on Disaster Countermeasures (Volume on Recovery/Restoration)." Hyogo Earthquake Memorial 21st Century Research Institute. GYOSEI Corporation.
- 2001 "Mother Tongue Language Education of South Americans of Japanese Descent Living in Japan: Assessing the State of Public Assistance from the Standpoint of Grass Roots Activities Conducted in the Field," in Mother Tongue Language Acquisition of South Americans of Japanese Descent (KOBE Foreigner Assistance Network Edition). Kobe Foreigners Friendship Center. 82-96.
- 2012 "Methods of Overcoming Language Barriers" and "Assisting Foreigners in Times of Disaster," in "30 Ways to Ensure the Happiness of Immigrants Living in Japan,"edited by the Solidarity Network With Migrants Japan. Godo Shuppan.
- 2012 "Civil Consciousness and Multicultural Coexistence – Using Experience Gained from the Great Hanshin Awaji Earthquake to Assist in Recovery for the Great East Japan Earthquake –." Immigrant/Diaspora Research 2 in "Examining the Great East Japan Earthquake from the Immigrant Perspective." Akashi Shoten.
- 2003 "Building Multicultural Communities Through Language," in Education. Kokudosha Co., Ltd.
- 2005 "Helping Minorities Transmit Their Voices: From Nagata to the World," January issue of Human Rights. Buraku Liberation Human Rights Research Institute.
- 2005 "From Disaster Relief Efforts to Multicultural Community Building: Building a Collaborative Network," in Wochi Kochi. Japan Foundation.
- 2005 "One Opinion on Self-help Organizations Geared Toward Newcomers to Japan: Case Studies from Hyogo Prefecture," master's thesis for the Kobe University Graduate School of International Cooperation Studies.
- 2007 "The Formation Process of Self-help Organizations Established by Newcomers to Japan: Case Studies from Hyogo Prefecture," 3rd issue of the Japan Society for Multicultural Relations Academic Journal. Japan Society for Multicultural Relations.
- 2007 "The State of Communication in Local Municipalities," vol. 55 of Intercultural Academy Journal, Spring 2007. Japan Intercultural Academy of Municipalities.
- 2008 "The Formation Process of Self-help Organizations Established by Newcomers to Japan in a Multicultural Society: Explicit Policies Based on Case Studies from Hyogo Prefecture," doctoral dissertation for Kyoto University.
- 2009 "The Necessity of Medical Interpreters in Local Medical Institutions: From the Establishment of a Medical Interpreting System in Hyogo Prefecture," 1st issue of Migration Policy Review. Japan Association for Migration Policy Studies.
- 2000 "Observational Report on NPOs in San Francisco," written and edited by Shizuyo Yoshitomi. Citizen Community Research Association.
- 2002 "Building a Network to Assist with the Education of Young Japanese Brazilians," written and edited by Shizuyo Yoshitomi. World Kids Community.
- 2005 "The Environment Faced by Foreign Children Living in Japan," in 10 Years After the Great Hanshin Awaji Earthquake: Working Toward an Inclusive Community for Foreigners. NGO Network for Foreigners' Assistance Kobe.
- 2005 "The Significance of Transmitting Minority Media and the Future of Regional Communities," in Report for the Hyogo Prefecture Research Association on the International Movement of People. Hyogo International Association.
- 2005 "10 Years After the Earthquake: The Significance of Transmitting Minority Media," in Remembering January 17th: Individual Opinions on the Last 10 Years. Committee to Publish Articles for the 10th Annual Memorial of the Earthquake.
- 2007 "Model Business Operating Manual to Establish a Medical Translation System," written and edited by Shizuyo Yoshitomi. Multilingual Center FACIL (a specified nonprofit corporation).
- 2007 "Points to Consider for Understanding the International Movement of People: Select Writing from a Select Author," issue 239 of International Movement of People. Japan Immigration Association.
- 2008 "Our Human Rights Movement: The Young Minorities of Japan," in Minpaku (a monthly publication). National Museum of Ethnology.
- 2008 "A Peruvian Professional Boxer," November 2008 issue of Minpaku (a monthly publication). National Museum of Ethnology.
- 2009 "Working Toward a Society that Instills Self Confidence in All Citizens," in KIZUNA (a monthly informational publication). Hyogo Human Rights Promotion Association.
- 2009 "Hospitals that Provide Medical Translation Services," People that Support Multiculturalism, in the October issue of Minpaku. National Museum of Ethnology.
- 2009 "Examining Questions Related to a Multicultural Society," issue 25 of Human and Environmental Forum. Kyoto University Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies.
- 2010 "Essays," a column for the Kobe Shimbun Newspaper, from January to April 2010 (7 articles).
- 2010 "Review of Answering Questions and Solving Difficult Problems: a Guide for Providing Medical Care for Foreigners," written by Akio Nishimura. 2nd issue of Migration Policy Review. Japan Association for Migration Policy Studies.
- 2011 "The Advantages of Community Radio in Times of Earthquake Disasters – Why We Must Not Forget About Minorities and Diversity -." October issue of "GALAC." Japan Council For Better Radio and Television.
- 2011 "Perspectives on Minorities – To Prevent Even a Single Disaster Victim from Being Excluded -." July issue of "International Human Rights Plaza." Hurights Osaka (Asia-Pacific Human Rights Information Center).
- 2011 "Collaboration Between NPOs/NGOs and Local Government – Cases Specific to the Kansai Region." May issue of "Migrants." Solidarity Network With Migrants Japan.
- 2011 "Radios and Multilingual Support," in "Wochi Kochi" Mail Magazine. Emergency Report: Connecting with the Disaster Affected Regions. Japan Foundation. May 2011.
- 2011 "A Foreign Patient Has Shown Up at Your Hospital,"written and edited by Shizuyo Yoshitomi (handbook designed for medical institutions). Multi Language Center FACIL (a specified nonprofit corporation).
- 2012 "Insight Gained Through Providing Assistance for the Great Hanshin Awaji Earthquake and the Great East Japan Earthquake – A Focus on Diversity and the Perspectives of Minorities -," in "Recovering from an 'Information Disaster-' How Regional Experts Deal with Earthquake Disasters -." Japan Consortium for Area Studies (JCAS) Annual Conference Report. JCAS, et al.
- 1. Keynote Panel Discussion for National Convention for the Japan Academic Association of Socio-education and Service Learning, November 23rd, 2005, Japan Academic Association of Socio-education and Service Learning, "New Connections Formed in the Disaster Stricken Area: Examining the Future of Socio-education and Service Learning"
- 2. Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, New Research Initiatives for Humanities and Social Sciences Project Forum, March 4th, 2006, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, "Building a Society for the Citizens - Overcoming Social Exclusion: the Potential of Community Media"
- 3. The Council of Europe's 3rd Intercultural Forum (Bucharest, Romania), March 18th, 2006, Council of Europe, 3rd Intercultural Forum "Promoting Intercultural Dialogue Between Generations" "The Children of Immigrant Workers and Their Effect on the Young People of Japan"
- 4. The German-Japanese Symposium (Berlin, Germany), November 23rd, 2006, Japanese-German Center Berlin, Immigration Issues in Japan and Germany: Homogeneity vs. Multiculturalism, "Integration or Assimilation?"
- 5. Women's Forum for the Chungnam Women's Policy Development Institute (Seoul, Korea), July 24th, 2007, Chungnam Women's Policy Development Institute, International Symposium on Women "The Response of Regional Society to a Multicultural Social Environment" "Multicultural Society in Japan: the Current State of the Formation of a Multicultural Society in Japan and Developments in Local Communities and Related Issues"
- 6. 25th Anniversary Seminar of the World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters (AMARC) (Bogota, Columbia), February 28th, 2008, World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters (AMARC), "The Role of Women in Community Radio: Latin America in Japan"
- 7. UNDP (United Nations Development Programme) International Conference (Manila, the Philippines), October 31st, 2008, UNDP (United Nations Development Programme), "Human Development on the Move," "Immigration Policy from the Standpoint of Japan"
- 8. Keynote Panel Discussion for the Annual Conference of the International Center of Research and Information on the Public, Social and Cooperative Economy of Japan
- 9. Asia Pacific Conference of the World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters (AMARC), February 20th, 2010, AMARC-AP (Bangalore, India), "Immigrants and Community Media"
- 10. Columbia University Workshop, November 5th, 2010, "Japan's Immigration Policy" (New York)
- 11. World Conference of the World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters, November 8th, 2010, (La Plata, Argentina), "Collaboration Between Minority Language Speakers and Community Radio"
- 12. UPCIS-Osaka University GLOCOL Seminar,September 22nd.2012 "Process of Recovery from Natural Disaster for and among the Migrant Community in Japan: Case Studies of the 1995 and 2011 Earthquakes"
- April 1990- Executive board member/executive director, Latin American Society in Kansai (until March 2006)
- March 1995- Founding member/steering committee member, NGO Network for Foreigners' Assistance Kobe
- January 1998- Lead representative, World Kids Community
- April 1999- Promotion committee member, the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake Memorial Research Institute (until March 2006)
- October 1999- Member, Hyogo Prefecture Foreign Prefectural Residents Coexistence Conference
- April 2000- Member of the board of directors, Takatori Community Center (a specified nonprofit corporation)
- January 2002- Executive board member, Citizens towards Overseas Disaster Emergency (CODE)
- April 2003- Human Rights Issue Research Adviser, Hyogo Human Rights Promotion Association
- April 2003- Collaborative research associate, National Museum of Ethnology (until June 2005)
- April 2004- Committee member, Hyogo Prefecture Research Association on the Movement of International Residents (until March 2005)
- April 2004- Committee member, Conference on the Promotion of Multicultural Education, Hyogo Prefectural Board of Education (until March 2005)
- April 2004- Research member, "Building a Society Based on Multidimensional Coexistence: Building a Society Based on Coexistence in Disaster Affected Areas," Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, New Research Initiatives for Humanities and Social Sciences Project Forum (until March 2005)
- February 2005- Research associate, "The Project to Build a Multicultural Society to Restore Vitality to Society," Japan Center for International Exchange (until September 2007)
- April 2005- Joint representative, Hyogo Citizen Activity Conference
- April 2005- Committee member, Hyogo Committee for Promotion of a Universal Society
- April 2005- Council member, Hyogo Prefecture Lifelong Learning Council (until March 2009)
- April 2005- Steering committee member, Hyogo International Association (until March 2010)
- April 2005- Consultant, MY TICKET, Inc. (travel agency registered by the Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transportation, registration no. 961)
- April 2006- Expert committee member, Kobe City Urban Planning Council (until March 2007)
- April 2006- Committee member, Hyogo Foreign Technical Internship Selection Committee
- April 2007- Committee member, Exploratory Committee for Basic Planning on the Redevelopment of the Former Kobe Emigration Center (until March 2008)
- April 2007- Committee member, Mother Tongue Acquisition Assistance Research Panel, Hyogo Earthquake Memorial 21st Century Research Institute (until March 2008)
- April 2007- Committee member, Hyogo Prefecture "Youth Awards" Review Committee
- March 2009- Executive board member, National Conference on Multicultural Coexistence Managers (a specified nonprofit corporation)
- April 2009- Committee member, Hyogo Prefecture Council on the Livelihood of Prefectural Residents
- July 2009- Member, "Interdisciplinary and Composite Research on Globalization and the Movement and Immigration of People," Osaka University GLOCOL Collaborative Research
- April 2010- Visiting research fellow, Center for Asia Pacific Partnership, Osaka University of Law and Economics
- April 2010- Committee member, Hyogo Prefecture Forum on the Effective Utilization of Specialized and Highly Skilled Foreign Human Resources (until March 2011)
- September 2010- Committee member, Committee for the Advancement of Information Sharing, Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (until March 2011)
- April 2011- Councilor, Minoh Association for Global Awareness (MAFGA) (an incorporated foundation)