last modified: October 16, 2010
Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Hawai段 at Manoa
- 1999.1-2000. 8
Certificate Program in International Cultural Studies, University of Hawai段 and East-West Center
- 1998.8-2001. 5
MA in Pacific Islands Studies, University of Hawai段 at Manoa
- 1990.4-1994. 3
BA in Liberal Arts, Division of Social Sciences (majored in Sociology), International Christian University (Tokyo, Japan)
- 2009.12 Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Hawai段 at Manoa
- 2001. 5 MA in Pacific Islands Studies, University of Hawai段 at Manoa
- 2011. 4-Present
Assistant Professor, Institute for Academic Initiatives, Osaka University
- 2010.10-2011. 3
Assistant Professor, Global Collaboration Center, Osaka University
- 2007. 6-2010.10
Researcher, Global Collaboration Center, Osaka University
- 2006. 6-2007. 5
Associate Professor, Department of Social Sciences, Palau Community College
- 2003. 5-2006. 4
Researcher/Advisor (Special Assistant), Embassy of Japan in the Republic of Palau
- 1994. 4-1998. 7
Program Officer, Education and Research Division, Japan Consumer Information Center (Kokumin Seikatsu Center)
Field of Research
- Political Science (Comparative Politics, Futures Studies), Area Studies (Pacific Islands)
- Futures of State-making in the Pacific Island states
- Globalization and Social Changes in the Pacific Islands
- Asian Migration in the Pacific Islands
- Japanese Administration in Micronesia
- China-Taiwan Relations over the Pacific Islands
- Futures Studies, Small Islands Studies, Nation-state, Globalization, Development, Indigenous Politics, Colonialism, Palau, Micronesia, Pacific Islands
Membership of Professional Associations
- International Small Islands Studies Association, The Japan Society of Island Studies, Japanese Society for Oceanic Studies
Publications and Presentations
- Mita, Takashi. 2010. Changing Attitudes and the Two Chinas in the Republic of Palau. In Porter, Edgar, and Terence Wesley-Smith eds.,China in Oceania: Reshaping the Pacific? New York: Berghahn Books, pp. 179-197.
- Mita, Takashi. 2009. Political Futures of Small-scale Island-states in Pacific Islands: Global Dynamics and State-making in the Republic of Palau. Doctoral Dissertation in Political Science, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Mita, Maki and Takashi Mita. 2005. Exhibit of History and Culture during Japanese Administration Period. Exhibit brochure for Belau National Museum. Koror, Palau: Embassy of Japan in the Republic of Palau.
- Mita, Takashi. 2003. Dentoteki Seiji Rida no Kinou toYakuwari (Functions and Roles of Traditional Leaders). In Sudo, Ken段chi, and Yoji Kurata (Eds.). Parao Kyowakoku: Kako to Genzai soshite Nijuisseiki e (Republic of Palau: Past, Present and to the Twenty-First Century).Omura, Japan: Orijin Shobo. pp.564-585.
- Mita, Takashi. 2003. Parao no Miraizo (Alternative Future Images of Palau). In Sudo, Ken段chi, and Yoji Kurata (Eds.). Parao Kyowakoku: Kako to Genzai soshite Nijuisseiki e (Republic of Palau: Past, Present and to the Twenty-First Century).Omura, Japan: Orijin Shobo. pp.588-618.
- Mita, Takashi. 2002. Parao Kyowakoku ni okeru Nihon ODA no Koka to Eikyo: Shokibo Gyogyo Kaihatsu Keikaku Donyugo no Jumin no Shiten Yori (Effects and Impacts of Japanese ODA in the Republic of Palau: Perspectives of the Residents on Small-Scale Fisheries Development Plan). Pacific Way. No. 120, pp.25-34.
- 2007 From Continued Growth to Disciplined Society: Breaking away from Dependency on External Resources and the Possibility of Self-Reliant Development in the Republic of Palau. 21st Pacific Science Congress: Diversity and Change: Challenges and Opportunities for Managing Natural and Social Systems in Asia-Pacific (Pacific Science Congress, Okinawa, Japan).
- 2007 Presence of Taiwan and China in the Pacific: Perspective from the Republic of Palau. China in Oceania: Towards a New Regional Order? (Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University and University of Hawaii, Beppu, Japan).
- 2004 Alternative Futures of Small Island Society in the Era of Globalization: A Case from Republic of Palau. Islands of the World VIII Conference (International Small Islands Studies, Kinmen Island, Taiwan).
- 2002 Impacts of Globalization in Pacific Island-State: Asian Presence and Socio-cultural Changes in the Republic of Palau. Islands of the World VII Conference (International Small Islands Studies, Prince Edward Island, Canada)
- 2002 Impacts of Globalization in Small-scale Island States in the Pacific: Social Transformation and Political Futures in the Republic of Palau. East-West Center International Graduate Student Conference (East-West Center, Honolulu, USA)
- 2002 Formation of "Imagined Community" in Colonial Micronesia: Palauan National Identity Imagined as Japanese? University of Hawaii 2002 School of Hawaiian, Asian and Pacific Studies Graduate Student Conference (University of Hawaii, Honolulu, USA)
- Norman Meller Award for MA Research Paper of the year that focuses on the Pacific Islands in the area of the social sciences or the humanities. (May 2001)